#WORLDCONNECTED DRIVEN BY FOUNDATION PILLAR OF EDUCATION, CULTURE AND WELLNESS
20 April 2020 - Commission leads with values promoting inclusion, diversity, fairness, sustainability, health and wellbeing of the esports community.
The Global Esports Federation (GEF) recently announced the eight Commissions – comprising over 70 individuals from around the world, volunteering their time and expertise – to further GEF’s mission to convene the world’s esports ecosystem.
Among the key Commissions confirmed is the Education, Culture and Wellness Commission. The Commission will advise the GEF Board – leading the detailed work that emphasises the importance of inclusion, diversity, fairness, sustainability, as well as health and wellbeing of the esports community. By placing these values at the core of the GEF’s mission, the Federation will contribute in discussions on more effective ways to mobilise society at large, convening the esports community and demonstrate esports as a catalyst for all kinds of social good. The Commission will also tap into the esports community to encourage mutual learning and involvement in GEF’s activities, as well as supporting education and learning institutions worldwide to grow esports for future generations.
The Commission is chaired by Chester King, Member of the Board of the GEF and Chief Executive Officer of the British Esports Association. Fellow GEF Board Member, Tyrone Seward from Zimbabwe will serve as Vice Chair of the Commission.
“Esports is all about the community and its pivotal role in its continued growth. The Global Esports Federation aims to elevate esports and promote it as a beneficial activity for all. There are no borders and boundaries within esports in a #worldconnected; anyone can participate regardless of age, gender, or background. The role of the Education, Culture and Wellness Commission is essential in educating, promoting, improving, and inspiring people around the world, and establishing a strong foundation where esports can continue to thrive in a safe, healthy, and sustainable environment,” said Chester King, Chair, Education, Culture and Wellness Commission, Global Esports Federation.
The Education, Culture and Wellness Commission is supported by members with incredibly diverse backgrounds, from experts in esports, sports, corporate governance, technology, to business. Some of the core members of the Commission include:
1. Nicholas Khoo – Co-founder of Yup.gg and SCOGA.org; former competitive esports player
2. HRH Prince Faisal bin Bandar bin Sultan Abdulaziz Al Saud – President of the Saudi Arabian Federation for Electronic and Intellectual Sports (SAFEIS) and the Arab eSports Federation
3. Professor Andy Miah – Co-Chair of the Esports Industry Collaboration programme at the University of Salford, Manchester; Advisory Board Member of the British Esports Association; and Director of Esports Science Insights
4. Melita N. Moore, M.D. – Sports Medicine/eSports Medicine Physician and International Speaker @levelupdoctor
5. Catherine Ugwu, MBE – Executive Producer and Creative Director (Betty Productions), producing some of the world’s largest ceremonies and events, including the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games.
6. Mark “Garvey” Candella – Director of Student and Education Programs, Twitch
7. Dr. Yang Yue – Director of Esports Research Centre, China, Institute of Sport Science
8. Mark J.W. Lee – Educational Gaming and VR/AR Expert
9. E Chenyang – Gamer and Esports Entrepreneur
Launched on 16 December 2019 in Singapore, the Global Esports Federation proudly draws on the diverse range of experience and expertise from the world of esports and the sporting community, to help develop the credibility, legitimacy, and prestige of esports in society. Tencent, one of the world’s leading technology companies, is the Founding Global Partner of the GEF. The Federation was founded to further elevate the future of esports, bringing the global community together through a #worldconnected.